What is faith?
Wikipedia says that “Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing or a belief not based on proof. It may also refer to a particular system of religious belief.”
Hebrews 11:1 says: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 – But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
More about the Christian’s armor is found in Ephesians 6:13 – 17 –
6:13 – Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
6:14 – Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with the truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
6:15 – And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
6:16 – Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
6:17 – And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
The Life Application Study Bible (KJV) lists the pieces of Armor as thus:
- Strong Belt (v. 14 loins girt about) – which is Truth…..that we can fight with against Satan’s lies.
- Breastplate (v. 14) – which is God’s Approval….Satan often attacks our hearts, the seat of our emotions, self-worth, and trust. God’s approval is the breastplate that protects our hearts. He approves of us because he loves us and sent his Son to die for us.
- Shoes (v. 15 your feet shod) – which is our readiness to spread the Good News….Satan wants us to think that telling others the Good News is a worthless and hopeless task, but God gives us shoes (the motivation/readiness) to continue to spread the Good News that people need to hear.
- Shield (v.16) – which is our Faith…..We see Satan’s attacks in the form of insults, setbacks, and temptations. But our Faith protects us from Satan’s flaming arrows. With God’s perspective, we can see beyond the circumstances and know that ultimate victory is ours.
- Helmet – (v.17) – which is our Salvation….Satan wants us to doubt God, Jesus, and our salvation. The helmet (our salvation) protects our minds from doubting God’s saving work for us.
- Sword – (v.17) – which is The Spirit, the Word of God….the sword is the only weapon of offense in this list of armor. There are times when we need to take the offensive against Satan. When we are tempted, we need to trust in the truth of God’s Word.
I believe this is one of my favorite lessons – The Armor of God. God gives us everything we need to fight the spiritual battle. All believers find themselves sucject to Satan’s attacks because they are no long on his side. Paul tells us to use every piece of God’s Armor to resist Satan’s attacks and to stand true to God in the midst of them.
I hope you enjoyed today’s Bible Journaling. Faith is this month’s “word” at Documented Faith with Stephanie Ackerman.
Until next time, Hugs and Have A Creative Day!